How to Care for Your Vehicle Wrap
Jeremy Wood on 06/24/2014
Vehicle wraps are a great way to get your business thousands of impressions daily to potential new customers. We've designed and installed several new wraps lately and wanted to share the do's and don'ts of caring for your car once it's been wrapped.
- Wash Regularly
- Wash frequently using a non-abrasive cleanser and soft cloth.
- Spray off soiled areas with a mist of water, and then follow with a mild detergent soap to remove heavier soils/stains.
- For heavier soils/bugs splatters/bird droppings soak the area in hot soapy water for several minutes prior to washing.
- Rinse the vehicle thoroughly and use a squeegee to remove excess water to prevent water spotting.
- Do not use brush-type auto car washes. The brushes can pull at the edges of the vinyl, or chip or scratch the finish. Brushless car washes are acceptable as long as pressure is not excessive.
Although hand washing is the preferred method, pressure washing is acceptable as long as the following methods are utilized:
- Ensure water pressure is kept below 2000 psi
- Keep water temperature below 180 degrees
- Use a wide angle nozzle
- Keep spray at a 90 degree angle to vehicle surface, and at least 1 foot away from vehicle surface
- If direct angled spray is applied to vinyl edges, peeling and damage may occur
- If additional cleaning is needed in areas with bug splatter, bird droppings, tar or other heavy contaminants, soak area first in hot soapy water. If contaminants remain, test a non-visible area of media with 3M ® or other branded bug/tar removal chemical. If area is unaffected and contaminants are successfully removed, use sparingly to remove heavy soiling.
- Remove spilled fuel immediately with warm water and a mild detergent soap.
- Heavy ultra violet saturation or extended exposure to environmental contaminants/pollutants can damage the vinyl. Whenever possible store the vehicle indoors or under a canopy to prolong the life of the wrap. If no indoor storage is available, consider using a vehicle cover at night to protect from acidic/pollutant rain.
Interested in wrapping your company vehicle or fleet? We can help! Call 308-532-1111 today for a quote.